Sunday, April 29, 2012

Wrath of Pride

    As we all know, pride is one of the seven deadly sins defined as an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments (http://wikipedia.org). We can look into this definition as seeing oneself to be superior over others. This trait is very evident in every person on this earth, even as little as preschoolers have this and is developed and accumulate as we grow older.
    I'm also subject to this sin for I myself is very proud of what I have. Seeing myself as superior from everybody else. If I will make a mistake, I would really find other factors to blame for I do not accept defeat and commentaries. In case that I have grudges to a certain classmate, I would not to talk to him no matter how long it would it take. This very foundation of my pride resulted to some of the most life changing experience that made contributions to the present me.
    Way back in my early high school days. I am very observant to the negative actions and mistakes of other people and once seen by my eyes, those persons will be subject to my heart piercing criticisms, teases and bluffs. Even our valedictorian did not escape my judgemental eyes. Out of pride and envy, I always make stories and comments regarding him and telling my friends not to go near him. There are many other stories such as that wherein I am the mastermind of those fraud narrations.
    I was really driven by pride by that time, accumulating people who hated me day by day. I also gained recognition in our school to be one of the most hated person at school (i think). What makes it worse is that those same persons who hated me have great concentration in the religious organization I am in. Until such time, our community elders organized an open forum just to address the concerns of my fellow brother and sisters regarding my actions.
    During the open forum, I was the main subject of their hurts and shame. They really cried one after another, even our valedictorian was there, telling me the hurts he felt and his intentions of wanting me as his friend. Well, as their tears continue to flow from their eyes, I was just sitting and facing them and not a single tear dropped (very pathetic right?). But all that really soaked into my heart and realization flooded my numb emotion. I wanted to cry that time but no matter how hard I try, I really cant force my tears to come out. Maybe it was "pride" again stopping me from crying (silly right?).
    From that moment on, day by day I continue to strive in managing my pride. Bit by bit I learned to ask forgiveness everytime I make a mistake or hurt someone (most of the time that is). I am just thankful that somehow, I manage to stand up from that fall. It might take years for me to recover, whats important is that I faced my dilemmas and did not ran away from it. I did not ignore my weaknesses but I molded it to be my source of strengths.

1 comment: